Monday, January 18, 2010

Men's Fashion: Glowing on the Dance Floor

Yesterday I was online window shopping. I checked out the usual sites, read through some blogs--not looking for ideas--but looking for links, brands and stores I've never seen.

One of my favorite places to buy t-shirts is Express because they are comfortable, look nice and are usually at a decent price* When looking at the latest designs, I saw a Black Light Graphic Tee. Oh no! For as much as I like the graphic t-shirt for wearing around the house, complimenting layers or wearing out when I'm wanting to scrub it, it has made the new-age man lazy. You see herds of men wearing the latest $120.00 Ed Hardy t-shirt (or $60.00 on sale Ed Hardy t-shirt for the men making $30K a year or less). It's like they think that buying an expensive vibrant colored t-shirt is fashion** It's not.

I have a feeling that the glow-in-the-dark t-shirt will be popping up at clubs everywhere. It is another lazy fashion idea. The good news is now it will be easier to spot the tool.

*Express used to sell t-shirts for $20.00. With increased demand, they have increased the price to $30.00. Sometimes they will have gimmicks like buy one, get the second half off. While I appreciate the business side of it, I have a hard time spending more than $25.00 for a standard t-shirt. There are lots of other sites and stores that sell quality t-shirts in the $15.00 to $20.00 range.

**I like Ed Hardy's use of colors and think if worn correctly can really make your attire pop. The problem is most people I see just wear the t-shirt. The colors really need to be worn in layers--blacks and grays. My other problem is I just can't see how spending more than $50.00 (let alone $30.00) and up to $125.00 for a t-shirt is a good value.

No comments: